Friday, January 21, 2011

Bodies in Urban Spaces

A while ago someone alerted me to this really cool group. It is led by Willi Dorner (head of Cie. Willi Dorner) and Rashana Smith recently directed me to speak with someone who has worked with the group. Lisa del Rosario was kind enough to lend me a few words about her personal experience with the group:

"The choreographer, Willi Dorner, traveled from Austria and auditioned dancers for this project 2 months earlier before the project began. Then 2 months later, we worked for 8 days straight working 9-5pm building a 2 mile trail of body sculptures. It was freaking strenuous. I felt like I got beat up by a bat at the end of the day...[and] I had to sleep on my belly one night after trying to squeeze between an electric pole and an electric box upside down several times. Lots of trials and errors, and very, very precise positioning.

The show consisted of about 20 pieces. We ran from one to another and had to hold it for 5 min or longer as the audience walked by. It really changed me--I'm still inspired by it because it fucking toughened me up."


Definitely google BIUS and check out the plethora of photos of Dorner's work.

a few links in that vein:

Wall Street Journal photo blog

Nice little description, and showing of presentational format, fi;af's Crossing the Line

watch it in action, and get a feel for the process of building some of these formations (2:47 is nice).

Dorner's site

...till next post

No comments:

Post a Comment