Wednesday, January 19, 2011

a(nother) beginning to guerrilla talk

a while back I wrote about how I tend to look at guerrilla (dancing in this case.) For those who may have interest in anything I say, I definitely would redirect you to take a look at that to see some of where I am coming from when I talk about this (fairly expansive) thing. it's a good base to bounce off of

alright, so guerrilla dance

what exactly happens when one guerrilla dances? "about a zillion things" would be my answer - not exactly a zillion mind you, only approximately seeing as this is definitely not an exact science. at a very basic level, one who is 'guerrilla dancing' tends to enter a space where dancing is not often normal (i.e. a street corner, a cafe, a bookstore, a lecture hall, a library, etc.) and begins to dance. as is probably already obvious (though I will soon elaborate on it anyway) each person who does this act of guerrilla dancing, is doing so for his/her own reasons.

Some people do it to bring dance to people who rarely see it; I've known some who use it as a way to perform grand acts that impress others...in other words, to show off; some people have done it simply because, "Oh! that looks like fun. I think I'll do that;" others do it as a way to say "fuck you" to the man, "this is a free fuckin' country and I do what I want, where I want it!!!!!!!!!;" while even others do it just because it's fun to dance somewhere other than the studio - a place in which contemporary 'dancers' spend the majority of their time training/dancing. I've never met one person who dances for only one reason, but instead a mix of these (and other) ideas.
My own personal reasons for gdancing. it's fun to dance in varied landscapes with various textures; it's exhilarating to pay as little attention as possible to the social codes that tell me, "this is not a normal dance space! it's weird for you to dance here!" and lastly (and quite prominent a reason) to find a sense of meditation in such a loaded act.
There are several more (conscious) reasons I do this act of gdancing, but their complexity and vagueness are better suited for another time. These are the most straightforward, and prominent reasons I gdance.

p.s.
I really like the idea of "meditation in such a loaded act." I think that speaks pretty directly to the idea I brought up that gdancing is dancing in "a space where dancing is not normal." what normal has to do with all this, and why that creates a senses of a "loaded act"...hmmmm, I think I'll talk about those in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment