Sunday, February 20, 2011

norms

...this is a reference to this post.

Alright, norms can be described in a few different ways. I like to think of norms (normal, normality) as the product of someone telling another or him/herself to "do this," and for that person to respond by following and/or accepting the order/suggestion. As the process repeats (with one, or a large number of people) it eventually is seen as something that happens. As it becomes something that happens more and more, this something is logged in one individual's/group's mind as a part of his/her/their life/lives, as part of something that dictates the way in which they approach their life, and how a decision(s) are made...one might call it a style of living that dictates what types of choices are made.

As generations pass, and styles are passed down via instruction/talking/music/movies/books/other forms of expression on an individual and broad level, these styles become norms that build societies and cultures. Some of these norms change over time, while others stay stable for many years. While I cannot say that this is universally the process in which this creation of norms take, this is how I currently understand it and what I will be referencing when I talk about norms from this point on.

...next time, I'll start talking about some applications/reasons for these norms, then I'll probably follow it up with why they're created at all. soon, somewhere along the way I'll actually get back to talking about guerrilla a little more directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment