Sunday, April 11, 2010

Blind Man

A blind man asked us to dance today. It hit me as a monumental happening. I feel like there are about 50 million potent meanings (probably related to my documentary) that I could find within that event. But what could they be?
My initial thought is simply the fact that most people are going to pay attention to a blind man attempting to dance, and that there is a potential for embarrassment. Why would he decide to be involved then? Especially when he is perfectly aware (he said as much) that he doesn't know how to dance - he wanted to be taught.
It all makes me wonder if he simply doesn't realize the social implications of a blind person attempting to dance, an act - while mainly kinesthetic - is largely learned via the visual sense. It seems obvious to me that everyone will be looking at him...but maybe that's the point. He probably, as someone who did not grow up seeing, has little to no concept of others looking at him, and him (as a result) getting embarrassed. It probably does not cross his mind in the same way as one who can see.

But he must have some concept of others awareness of him. I wonder what makes him embarrassed then. Especially because I usually feel embarrassment when I feel others' eyes on me. I am so interested in talking to him, and knowing why he finds such an interest in dancing, and if the thought of embarrassment even crossed his mind. Simply because, well, most people I talk to don't want to join the dancing simply because of fear of embarrassment.

2 comments:

  1. Question - do you use music when you go out and dance? 'cause from your videos it seems like it's mostly just dancing without any sort of accompaniment. Why is that? How did the blind man know you were dancing? Did he hear your music? How did he hear about you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It totally depends on where we go. We use music as often as we can, but not all locations have accessible outlets unfortunately. and, some days very much fit a quieter atmosphere anyway.

    We were blasting music that day, and being pretty raucous in fact. Also, he was with another person who wasn't blind. I'm really sad though, 'cause he never contacted me again. I was so excited about it too. :-/

    ReplyDelete